Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Default Photoshop vs. Lightroom Plugins

I was wondering if anyone out there can give a short and sweet answer to the complex question of the pros and cons of getting a Lightroom only plug in. I went through this with Nik software and OnOne, in which case I just paid extra, big time, for both versions. Mostly, the only reason I ever prefer the Ps versions is for the advantage of layers. I know nothing, yet, about this software so I was hoping someone could say whether or not I would be sorry if , in this case, I only purchased the Lr version of the software.

Thanks very much.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargra View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there can give a short and sweet answer to the complex question of the pros and cons of getting a Lightroom only plug in. I went through this with Nik software and OnOne, in which case I just paid extra, big time, for both versions. Mostly, the only reason I ever prefer the Ps versions is for the advantage of layers. I know nothing, yet, about this software so I was hoping someone could say whether or not I would be sorry if , in this case, I only purchased the Lr version of the software.

Thanks very much.
Short and sweet!

You use a Photoshop based workflow for quality and a Lightroom based workflow for quantity!

If you have a detailed, meticulous process where you use multiple layers and you want to be able to tweak filter settings, then using Portraiture as a smart filter in Photoshop works very well. The skin retouching algorithms are identical in both LR and PS versions of Portraiture so that's no issue.

With Lightroom, everything done with a plugin is a global one shotter as Adobe is too greedy to open up the Develop tab for plugin inclusion.

Hope this helps,
George