Go Back   Imagenomic :: Forums > Product discussions > Portraiture

Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Will Portraiture ever work in PaintShop Pro X6?

New version of PaintShop Pro X6 is out with support for PhotoShop 8li and 8bf plugins. Works in x64 mode now too.

It now works with Topaz, Google's NIK, and Alien Skin plug-ins, just that I cannot get it to work with Portraiture? I get a "Plugin caused an access violation."

Any ideas?

Mack
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
New version of PaintShop Pro X6 is out with support for PhotoShop 8li and 8bf plugins. Works in x64 mode now too.

It now works with Topaz, Google's NIK, and Alien Skin plug-ins, just that I cannot get it to work with Portraiture? I get a "Plugin caused an access violation."

Any ideas?

Mack
Mack,
The last version I checked, X5 was still 32 bit. I looked at the Corel X5 product info and found no reference to 64 bit. I only found this in the tech specs:
Microsoft® Windows® 8, Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or Windows® XP with the latest service packs installed (32-bit or 64-bit editions)...
which doesn't mean it supports 64bit plugins, only that X5 will run on a 64bit operating system.
Our 64bit version won't load into X5, only the 32bit it gets "Plugin caused an access violation." when its run and there's nothing in the Core KB on this error.
We're just too small to chase issues like this as we've only had a handful of requests from people over the years RE PSP.
Regards,
George
Old 08-24-2013, 03:19 PM

George, here's the link: http://links.email1-corel.com/YesCon...qyMSjtqoOOpjUp Some special $59 upgrade running until Sept. 3 when the final x64 version appears. It popped up when the older X5 version ran.

I'm running the x64 trial version right now (Big 270MB download.). As mentioned, Topaz, Google's NIK, Alien Skin are now working with it in x64-bit mode. Only one not is Imagenomics with the "Address violation error" mentioned. onOne runs in their extra standalone "Perfect Photo Suite 7" as they don't do plugins the normal way with the 8li or 8bf Adobe PS extensions.

I suspect many will leave Adobe due to their CC "rental" software (or just fed up with Adobe $$$), and PSP X6 may be the next version they move to for cost. Corel seems to be pushing hard against Adobe.

Mack
Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
George, here's the link: http://links.email1-corel.com/YesCon...qyMSjtqoOOpjUp Some special $59 upgrade running until Sept. 3 when the final x64 version appears. It popped up when the older X5 version ran.

I'm running the x64 trial version right now (Big 270MB download.). As mentioned, Topaz, Google's NIK, Alien Skin are now working with it in x64-bit mode. Only one not is Imagenomics with the "Address violation error" mentioned. onOne runs in their extra standalone "Perfect Photo Suite 7" as they don't do plugins the normal way with the 8li or 8bf Adobe PS extensions.

I suspect many will leave Adobe due to their CC "rental" software (or just fed up with Adobe $$$), and PSP X6 may be the next version they move to for cost. Corel seems to be pushing hard against Adobe.

Mack
I was one of the first to buy PSP when JASC had it and used it for years alongside everything else. Then Corel got a hold of it, and well, no comment. Just like Bibble....I knew Eric (Bibble Founder) personally and then Corel got it....a bit later, no more original team and the support....no comment.
There may be a lot of people jumping ship on the CC deal but so far, the vast majority of our customers are still with Adobe. A handful use Aperture and Capture One (we don't support Capture One) but alas, not a lot has changed on our end.
The headaches we'd put up with trying to support PSP wouldn't be worth the effort for now as most of our support has little to do with our plugins, but the supporting app and also system hardware.
Take care,
George
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM

George, you and your team may want to rethink the whole reasoning of "the vast majority of our customers are still with Adobe" when you only cater to Adobe.
Investigate news feeds and let go of old hangups of old friends loosing jobs due to business decisions. Corel's Paint Shop Pro X6 has only been out a very short time and is already gaining momentum on the marketshare.
To remain relevant in today's business world one has to make decisions based on business and not person feelings. GMack is not exaggerating about Corel pushing hard against Adobe.
Your Portraiture plugin is a great product and many would love to still see Imagenomic still relevant a couple years from now.
Please rethink your company's stance on anti-Corel.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Staff

George, you and your team may want to rethink the whole reasoning of "the vast majority of our customers are still with Adobe" when you only cater to Adobe.
Investigate news feeds and let go of old hangups of old friends loosing jobs due to business decisions. Corel's Paint Shop Pro X6 has only been out a very short time and is already gaining momentum on the marketshare.
To remain relevant in today's business world one has to make decisions based on business and not person feelings. GMack is not exaggerating about Corel pushing hard against Adobe.
Your Portraiture plugin is a great product and many would love to still see Imagenomic still relevant a couple years from now.
Please rethink your company's stance on anti-Corel.
In all honesty, I feel your pain and wish there was an easy answer. Imagenomic isn't anti-Corel, they're just following their business plan which doesn't include Corel support. Our subroutines are much more advanced with color management and we're not going to modify them at this point for Corel products. What sets us above the rest is the attention to the minutae that is bypassed for compliance with the masses.

This has nothing to do with personal feelings as I could easily ask questions such as these to Corel users:
How many of you guys have ever done all the major photography shows for years as a working vendor? If you did, how many Corel customers did you talk with?
How many of you derive your living from photography?
How many of you have multi-million dollar businesses that rely on industry standards?
How many of you have stood as a speaker before PPA, WPPI, ASMP, etc. and asked how many of them use Corel products?
How many casual users of Corel PSP are going to spend $300 for a plugin suite?

Not trying to pass any bucks but that's the nature of the business. As a small company, we barely have enough time to keep up with constant operating system and app changes. We have to test, certify and/or support over a hundred different combos of operating systems, apps and plugins.

As to a product gaining a market share, we still only get 1 or 2 inquiries a month on PSP compatibility. Another aspect is that a huge part of our customers use 3rd party actions that are useless in PSP. And lastly, one of my pet peeves has always been PSP internal color management but alas no comment on that.
Thanx for the feedback,
George